The Currier Museum of Arts Appealing Culture To Society
The Currier Museum of Art’s rehabilitation and expansion by Ann Beha Architects (ABA) has changed the historic structure, attracting new and varied audiences and presenting art in innovative ways. The Currier Museum of Art, which first opened its doors in 1929, has an extraordinary collection and innovative educational initiatives, but its small space hampered exhibitions and programming, and its austere classical expression intimidated potential visitors.
City Blocks, Winter Garden And Auditoriums
The Museum’s Strategic Plan aimed to improve the display of its growing collection while also increasing visitors and membership by appealing to a wide range of people. The ABA’s Master Plan outlined a path to achieve these objectives, and the Museum received more than 50,000 visitors in the first five months after reopening, exceeding its previous year’s total. Membership surpassed pre-closing levels, shop sales more than doubled, and programming was expanded.
The project spans two city blocks and includes outdoor sculpture and event space. A renovated main lobby with a ticketing space, an expanded Museum shop, and visitor services are all part of the north extension. Three new galleries surround an enclosed Winter Garden on the south side, giving a year-round venue for the café, celebrations, and performances. A new 180-seat auditorium, classrooms, and administrative offices are accessible via a stair from the Winter Garden.
Addition Of New Spaces At The Currier Museum
The additional extensions were scaled meticulously to match the old 1929 building, which was designed by Tilton & Githens. Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer added two galleries in 1982 that re-oriented the entrance to the north side, near to parking, sacrificing the original façade in the name of accessibility. ABA investigated a variety of enlargement options before deciding on two independent expansions that would respect the old building’s significance while also re-engaging the historic façade.
The addition of new spaces and the rethinking of existing ones creates a clear path across the galleries, enhancing the original plan’s Beaux Arts symmetry. The new entry and Winter Garden continue an axis of public areas that runs from the old two-story internal court to the city beyond, accented with glimpses of art and vistas into public spaces.
Written By Ankit Lad | Subscribe To Our Telegram Channel To Get Latest Updates And Don’t Forget To Follow Our Social Media Handles Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn | Twitter. To Get the Latest Updates From Arco Unico